Welcome

1 Corinthians 3:4-8 “Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy, love does not parade itself, is not puffed up, does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil, does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails…”

Monday, December 14, 2009

Staying On Course

“One of my favorite quotes is sometimes God calms the storm…Sometimes God lets the storm rage and calms the child.” ~Author Unknown


Read Matthew 14:22-33

I heard a story about a man who grew up with a passion for flying. His fervor drew him through many areas of skill. He was a test pilot, and a military pilot who flew the latest in jet aircraft technology. One day while he was in the air he received a call from the controller. There was a young pilot in the air. He was in the clouds, lost, disoriented and very scared. The controller told the seasoned pilot that the young man was in serious trouble and he was the closest to him and asked if he could help him. He immediately turned in the direction of the small aircraft, and pulled along side bringing his craft to a crawl next to the tiny craft. Locating his frequency He identified himself and said “look to your left”. The terrified pilot looked and saw an amazing sight hovering at his left wing, a beautiful, modern sleek fighter jet, flaps up, landing gears already lowered and locked. The fighter pilot saw the tears of relief flood the young face. Then he spoke to him in a calm, authoritative manner.

“I’m going to pull in front of you and I want you to do one thing and only one thing. Keep your eyes on me. Follow me… do everything I do. If I…turn you turn. Wherever I go… you follow. I’ll go slow and keep an eye out that I don’t lose you.” So the Jet pulled in front of the Cessna and they headed through the clouds together. Soon they dropped through the clouds Ahead right below them was probably most beautiful site that scared pilot had ever seen– the runway. The emotional meeting on the ground made a great impact on the old pilot. He realized that at that very moment of their meeting in the air he held the words of life and death. God had given him the ability, the knowledge that allowed him to lead someone safely on a path towards home. Could his entire life’s training and purpose have been directed to save one life? Could that be our purpose…?

This story stands out to me one, because my hubby is a pilot…two, because of an event that happened at the company he flies for occasionally.

A young pilot had completed his training and was scheduled to go to Los Angeles to take his test for his pilot’s license. To do that, they go on a solo flight. The instructor briefed him on all the flight protocol needed for him to make a safe flight and pass his test. Part of the procedure is checking the weather details and watching for unsafe conditions. Flying up the coast he ignored an oncoming weather pattern that was a flight hazard. He flew into a fog bank became visually disoriented and crashed into the ocean. The people who lived in the crash area said that one moment it was clear…the next you couldn’t see your hand in front of you. The short sad truth is the pilot didn’t follow the guidelines that his instructor had given him on when to proceed, when to change course…or when to turn back…it cost him his life.

It’s the same in the spiritual realm…we have the bible…the instructor…but too often we’re following our own plan. For the unsaved…the wrong plan is a matter of life and death…eternal life. Following our own plan is just as detrimental for us even as Christians because we’re out here in the midst of the storm barraged by waves of disaster sinking in a sea of problem. The fog settles in and the only way anyone gets through it is by following our Savior. Even working at a church where most people think it should be safe we find Satan is often lurking. We know the devil will sneak in everywhere he can and if we let him he can bring that storm in so quickly that it surrounds us and we’re lost. I need to follow my Savior Jesus daily not just at that decision moment but ongoing every day so I can stay on course, especially with all the storms going on around us now.

I need to remember that the entire purpose of my Savior coming to earth, teaching, suffering, dying on the cross was so that I would have a clear direction and path toward home….even through the storms of life.

Matthew 14:30
“But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out saying ‘Lord save me’.”

I can close my eyes picture Jesus saying these words to me “Don’t worry…keep your eyes on me. Follow me… do everything I do. If I…turn you turn. Wherever I go… you follow. I’ll go slow and keep an eye out that I don’t lose you.”

Jesus saved me. Even when I’m off course He is there for me.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Val. I love how you use both flight stories to make such a powerful, important point. I enjoy stories where you can for example see a plane or up there flying in one and need that sense of security and think back on your words. I am slipping; I need to check your blog more often my friend.

    ReplyDelete