Welcome

1 Corinthians 3:4-8 “Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy, love does not parade itself, is not puffed up, does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil, does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails…”

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Desert Rat



I have never met anyone besides me who really appreciates places like El Centro California or Yuma Arizona. I’m sure there are others who love those desolate desert places…I just haven’t met them.

What more can I say about the desert, except that I love it. I love the sand, the heat, and the wind; the way it blows through my hair and kisses my cheek. I love sitting on a balcony or patio of an elegant hotel, my husband holding my hand as we sip coffee or iced tea and watch the palm trees gracefully bend in the warm dry caressing breeze. This is my perception of the perfect priceless get-a-way.

My husband Terry not only understands this love but has been gracious to indulge my obsession and allow me to pursue my passionate love for the desert. I know that secretly in his heart he probably refers to me as his Desert Rat but he seldom complains. However, I do remember a testy response to my question as we ate our lunch on the Patio of the restaurant at The Westin Mission Hills resort in Palm Springs.

“Why does everyone keep asking us if we’re okay out here?”
He couldn’t contain that slight look of amazement as he wiped the flowing perspiration from his forehead.

“Good grief Val, it’s 105 degrees. Haven’t you noticed we’re the only ones out here? They probably think we’re crazy.”

In defense of my erratic behavior, I will point out that I grew up in Phoenix Arizona. Many of those days hit the triple digits but I don’t recall doing much complaining. Perhaps the emotional trauma due to my being transplanted to San Diego California around my 15th birthday has slightly deranged my perception of desert life. Well, that’s always been my excuse…and I’m not changing it now.

My brother Bob knows I love the desert. He and his wife Terri have been on their “Lost in America Tour” traveling the country in their beautiful, huge coach for the last couple years. Recently they sent me a great book called
Vanished Arizona: Recollections of My Army Life, the story of a New England Woman by Martha Summerhayes (Author), Dan Trapp (Introduction)

I found this a fascinating read on the personal history of Martha Summerhayes during the 19th Century in the American West, the recollections of her life on the Frontier and Arizona. It includes some wonderful black and white illustrations of historic scenes of Arizona and some personal letters and correspondence. It a Softcover. 307 pages. Measures 5 1/4 by 8 inches.

Thanks Bob & Terri…See you soon…!Your sister…The Desert Rat

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I am impressed my Bestest. I knew you were a little too quiet for some reason...a good reason :). I am looking forward to reading more posts! I love you.

    JoAnne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your support my friend! You're a great example!
    love,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, especially since it was partially about us. Glad you enjoyed the book, we stayed at Camp Verde AZ, so could relate to the history of the area. We left Colorado this morning and arrived at Raton, NM for the night. We will be in Texas for 3 months, see you in February. Love to you and Terry.
    Your homeless brother and Sis In Law. Bob and Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, it is great to see you on the blogosphere! Tell Terry hello for me. We live in Denver so if you're ever near, call. I am SO impressed with your weight loss journey - inspriring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robbie,
    Thank you so much...say hi to your guys and I look forward to reading about what's going on with you...Congratulations on your writing accomplishments. I love reading what you write. It's inspiring...and I can use some inspiration...keep blogging

    ReplyDelete