Welcome

1 Corinthians 3:4-8 “Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy, love does not parade itself, is not puffed up, does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil, does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails…”

Monday, October 12, 2009

Phoenix Rising...40 Years of Memories



Like the Israelites 40 years in the wilderness, it's easy forget about God’s blessings because we focus on our immediate circumstances. Inevitably, each of us will face our own wilderness experience, and it’s these difficult times that strengthen our faith and build our character. God promises that His grace is sufficient to guide us through those dry valleys, and that He will be there to provide everything we need.

I’m back… In an earlier post I mentioned being transplanted from Phoenix to San Diego at age 15. Somehow I’ve always managed to end up back in San Diego even though I did spend almost four years in Kansas City Missouri and 9 months in Millington Tennessee. I always thought I’d end up back in Arizona but it’s not looking likely that I will move at this late date. However, I just finished a most incredible desert experience.

After 45 years I finally visited my old stomping grounds in Phoenix. I attended the 40th reunion of the 1969 Alhambra High graduating class. True, I did not actually graduate there because I moved to San Diego but I couldn’t pass the opportunity to see some of my old grade school friends from Granada Elementry. And, it was definitely worth the trip. The Friday night mixer at Marc’s sports Bar & Grill was packed. It was standing room only. and a little chaotic…but fun and a wonderful prelude to the Saturday night event at the 4 Points Sheraton.

The best part of the reunion was connecting with my childhood friend Cindy who lived next door. Glenyce lives here in San Diego. A few years ago I was able to meet with her and our friend Becky for lunch here in San Diego. All that was missing was our fourth musketeer Roberta. Well…she was there with all of us at the reunion. Wow…what a great homecoming for me!

A real treat was to be able to chat with Sue who is a great social coordinator. I remember her so well from all the track events. She could run very fast…I could too, but she had a good 8 inches in height on me and seemed to be all legs so I couldn’t outrun her but I did make a superb effort even if I do say so myself. Susie Skinner is beautiful and I hoped my hubby wouldn't notice her gorgeous red hair as he has periodically hinted that I would make a good redhead. I’m not so sure about that myself but she looks terrific and just like I remembered her. Denise might be a bit older like the rest of us but I would have recognized her anywhere and Lee Nicholson hasn’t changed a bit either. She still looks like that sweet, 8th grade girl with the innocent smile.

Three of the guys that I remember are Eddie Moed, Richard Abalos and Kenneth Laird. Eddie is quite the character and much more outgoing than I remember from school and Richard Abalos hasn’t changed at all. Ken was the bad boy that all the girls were crazy about. He lived on the next block from me and was good friends with Randy Henson, my first crush and Tim Williams one of the sons of our baby sitter Margaret. Ken gave me quite a bit of info on many of the gang in our old neighborhood. It’s nice to hear what happened with some of the people you grew up with even if some of it is a bit sad. But the sadness is just a part of the nostalgia of moving through life as it is…as we wish it could be...eternally hopeful…forever young in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment